[H-GEN] "... nailed to a tree

Raymond Smith raymond at humbug.org.au
Mon Sep 8 10:57:19 EDT 2003

... for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for
a change"[0]

Lately the temperature of these lists has been a little more
heated, the tone slightly less fun than I think it should be.
Too much humbug, not enough HUMBUG.

There is no time when it is appropriate to call another member
an arsehole, or similar derogative, on this mailing list. Refrain
from doing so.

Likewise, while it is right for people to point out breaches of
netiquette this should only be done politely and in a helpful
spirit. Loudly denouncing another member, or declaring a decision
to 'killfile' serves no useful purpose: the quality of list traffic
is not improved, and the original poster will not be moved to
change their behavior. By all means kill file if you must, but
do so quietly.

It is worth mentioning AJ's guide to netiquette[1] and RFC 1855[2].
I would ask, again[3], that people be respectful towards one another
on and off list.

Let us all make HUMBUG's mailing lists fun and easy going with a
high signal-to-noise ratio.

Regards,

Raymond Smith
Secretary of HUMBUG 2002/2003              mailto:secretary at humbug.org.au