[H-GEN] replacement for RedHat9/KDE

Sarah Hollings sarah at humanfactors.uq.edu.au
Mon Oct 27 05:01:04 EST 2003

Robert Kearey wrote:

> Mick wrote:
>
>> As RedHat is no longer supporting the non-paying community I am
>> looking for an alternative distro and would like some suggestions
>> about the strengths/ weaknesses of the choices as they relate to my
>> current configuration and collection of about ten cd's of rpm'ed
>> packages.
>

> Eh? Where'd you get the idea Red Hat is no longer supporting the
> "non-paying" community? Hell, we're actually *extending* our community
> involvment with Fedora! And if you really *must* have a boxed product,
> there's RHEL Professional Workstation coming out in the very near future.
>
> If there's any misconception in the HUMBUG community viz Red Hat's
> future "product" plans, please take the time to ask me anything which
> can help keep things clear.

[apologies for the long lines]

The misconceptions if that's what they are, are spreading amongst the UQ
community and causing quite a bit of concern.

One school IT staffer I know has battled hard to get RH Linux onto some
of their servers and now is faced with either forking out $4400 for RHEL
with Apache etc, or going for a Free alternative (eg Debian) and try to
find support for it.

Either way he has to tell the point and droolers (who can't support the
installation if he gets hit by a bus) that "things have changed".

Rob, if you've got any good news on this front I'd love to pass it on.

<paste from UQ ITLO list by ITS Licensing and Maintenance>

> Hi All,
> As you may be aware RedHat have chosen to discontinue free support of all their RedHat Linux products.
>
> As of 31/12/03 the errata and patching for all Red Hat Linux versions up to and including 8 will be discontinued.
>
> As of 31/4/04 the errata and patching for Red Hat Linux 9 will be discontinued.
>

> Red Hat Linux now has two descendants, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and the Fedora project.
>
> The Fedora Project is an openly-developed project designed by Red Hat, open for general participation, led by meritocracy, following a set of project operatives.
> http://fedora.redhat.com/
>
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux is designed to be used in the business environment due to reliability,availability, scalability, and manageability .
> Please see http://www.redhat.com.au/software/rhel/ for more information.
>

> RedHat does offer support agreements for its products on a Volume Purchasing basis.  The pricing is per server and is split into several price breaks.
>
> If you are interested in purchasing support for your RedHat product please reply to this email and indicate the number of servers you wish to support and the RedHat product/s you are using on each by COB Friday 31 October.
>
> RedHat are unwilling to provide volume pricing quotes until we can supply them with tentative numbers.
>
> Once I have the firm pricing I will send it out and request RIDS from those who wish to participate.
>

> Feel free to contact me if you require fiurther information regarding this offer.
>
> Regards
> Gai
> Gai Trewinnard-McNeill
> Licensing & Maintenance Officer
> Information Technology Services
> The University Of Queensland
> Brisbane QLD 4072
> Tel: +61 7 3365 3696
> Fax: +61 73365 3967
> http:\\www.its.uq.edu.au\software_licensing.php

</paste>

--
Sarah Hollings                     IT Manager
sarah at humanfactors.uq.edu.au       The ARC Key Centre