[H-GEN] The heavy hand of the evil empire strikes again

Andrae Muys andrae.muys at braintree.com.au
Wed Oct 8 04:17:30 EDT 2003

Nick Kwiatkowski wrote:

> Greg Black wrote:
>
>>We recently had some references to a security report authored
>>by, amongst others, Dan Geer of Usenix and, until just now, of
>>AtStake Inc.  It seems that AtStake, described as "a technology
>>firm that works closely with Microsoft", have now unburdened
>>themselves of Geer.  Read all about it:
>>
>>   http://www.securityfocus.com/news/7069
>>
> The thing is that Dan was one of the main authors, for a paper that he did
> on his own personal time. However, he used AtStake's name and his position
> there for the paper. Regardless, of whether AtStake's clients include
> Micro$oft or not, they are right to take action against him using the
> company's name. Now whether firing him was overkill, ummm, but CTO/CIO[1]
> tend to burn brightly then disappear.

I suggest you read the report itself before making such comments.

http://www.ccianet.org/papers/cyberinsecurity.pdf

The only mention of @stake in the paper is in the author descriptions,
where it accurately describes Dan Geer as the CTO of @stake, but makes
not attempt to associate @stake with the paper.  OTOH it is possible
that MS had no input in @stakes decision to fire Dan Geer.

 From the CODA

Daniel Geer, Sc.D - Dr. Geer is Chief Technical Officer of @Stake, in
Cambridge, Mass.
Dr. Geer has a long history in network security and distributed
computing management
as an entrepreneur, author, scientist, consultant, teacher, and
architect. He has provided
high-level strategy in all manners of digital security and on promising
areas of security
research to industry leaders including Digital Equipment Corporation,
OpenVision
Technologies, Open Market, and CertCo. He has written extensively on
large-scale
security issues such as risk management, applications of cryptography,
and Web
security for The Digital Commerce Society, the Securities Industry
Middleware Council,
the Internet Security Conference, and the USENIX Association for whom he
founded
several conferences.
Dr. Geer has testified before Congress on multiple occasions and has
served on various
relevant advisory committees to the Federal Trade Commission, the
National Science
Foundation, the National Research Council, the Commonwealth of
Massachusetts,
the Department of Defense, the National Institute of Justice, and the
Institute for
Information Infrastructure Protection.
Dr. Geer holds several security patents, an Sc.D. in Biostatistics from
Harvard
University?s School of Public Health and an S.B. in Electrical
Engineering and Computer
Science from MIT.

 From the "Authors section"

Daniel Geer, Sc.D – Chief Technical Officer, @Stake