[H-GEN] Motorola Cable modem

Sandra Milne fakungabubu at internode.on.net
Wed Nov 12 00:32:24 EST 2003

Alan Harrison wrote:

> I will also change 1 of the NIC cards, as at the moment I have 2 different
> NIC's that both have RTL chipsets on.
> I doubt that this has anything to do with the problem, but if it helps . . .

Never had a problem with Realtek cards and Optusnet. However, I find
it's much easier to run a router/firewall box with 2 different chipset
cards so you can be pretty sure which one is external and which is internal.

> Btw, how does Optus authenticate it's users?
> Is it by the MAC address of the modem?

Yes it is, so make sure you either got the modem from them or they know
the MAC address. If you ever need to obtain a different IP from them
(they give static IP assigned via DHCP) just chuck in a different
network card.

Sandra.
fakungabubu at internode.on.net
http://www.livejournal.com/users/silne/
"The 'right thing' starts at the beginning of
the day, not after you've been caught."
"Some Charrids got off the elevator, we got on,
we got off...well, we tried to get off, we got interrupted."
   -- John Crichton "Hot to Katratzi" season 4 episode 20