[H-GEN] Boot selector for Debian

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Wed May 28 03:57:59 EDT 2003

On 2003-05-28, The Revolution[1] wrote:

> This is a common problem...
> This is why you install linux LAST

The order of installation is not necessarily easy to choose;
clearly, it's necessary to be able to do things in any order.

> Windows tends to overwrite your mbr (its dumb)
> Boot into linux using the floopy
> If you are using lilo edit /etc/lilo.conf
> Add an entry for the windows partitoin
> See google for that... im to lazy...
>
> Once done run 'lilo' and it should install itself again
> Hopfully into the mbr (effectivly overwriting it)

This turned out to be Bad Advice.  I ran lilo to install my
previous configuration and ended up with something that did not
ask any questions, but just booted Linux with no way to boot
Windows.  This was worse than the original problem.

See next message for a Better Solution.

Greg

[1] I normally don't reply to messages from people who don't put
    their name in their From header, but this particular message
    was a good example of something that seemed worth covering
    so that others might avoid the same mistake.

--
Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> <http://www.gbch.net/gjb.html>
GPG signed mail preferred; further information in headers.