[H-GEN] Boot selector for Debian

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Wed May 28 00:18:50 EDT 2003

On Wed May 28 2003 at 13:21, Greg Black wrote:

> I have a new DVD in my laptop, so I was able to re-install
> Windows in its little partition (fortunately without blowing
> away my Debian installation on the major part of the disk).

> If anybody has any suggestions for solving this, preferably that
> don't endanger the data on the disk, I'd be most grateful for a
> clue so that I don't have to keep booting from floppy ...

(Keep that floppy around, it could very well come in very handy
later:)

You would be using either lilo or grub as the boot loader (doesn't
matter which, both will work).  Simply edit the relevant config file
(/etc/lilo.conf or /etc/grub.conf - which is a symlink to
/boot/grub/grub.conf) to create a new boot menu option for windoze,
then run either lilo or grub-install to write new boot sector... if
all goes well, you'll have no more need for that floppy.

> Greg

Cheers
Tony