[H-GEN] Using a linux box as a terminal

Christopher Biggs listjunkie at pobox.com
Tue May 20 21:56:13 EDT 2003

David Jericho <david.jericho at bytecomm.com.au> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> You can pretty much run everything from /etc/inittab if you really
> wanted.
>
> I'm not quite sure of the reason behind your actual choice of command.
> Personally I would have just used the line
>
> 1:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/ssh scoserver

One problem with this is that SYSV init does not automagically set the
user ID, or controlling Terminal, which is fine if you don't mind only
having one ssh session available, and having it run as root on the
linux box (possibly allowing backdoor root access on the linux box).

Simplest solution is to create a user on the linux box called
"<nameofscobox>" and make that user's .bash_profile contain "ssh
<nameofscobox>".

More complex solutions involve investigating the lesser-used command
options of getty(8) (hint: instead of having getty ask for username
then execute login(1), have it execute a shell-script which sets
desired user-ID & home directory, then executes ssh).

--cjb