[H-GEN] Off Topic : IINET Experiences??

R&J Stuart rjstuart at bigpond.net.au
Tue May 20 06:18:04 EDT 2003

Robert Brockway wrote:
> Comments on ISPs are actually against the list charter.  I do have an
> opinion on this particular ISP and will be emailing Tony privately.

Wasn't this guideline put in place because at the time many humbug list
members were running small ISPs?  This is probably less of an issue now,
especially with broadband.  Surely people can be responsible enough that
they will own up to being biased by being on staff (or any other
affiliations aside from being a customer) with an ISP?

I find discussions on this list of experiences with various ISPs helpful
when being asked by other people about broadband alternatives (though I do
recommend they look at whirlpool and broadbandchoice).

Obviously, I'm with Bigpond (cable), and am happy enough that I haven't
moved.  I was close to moving off bigpond cable when bigpond started up the
files.bigpond.com - which is now keeping me happy for my big iso downloads.
  It would be nice if bigpond got some big mirrors happening, but I guess
any possiblity of this happening disappeared with the planetmirror deal.

I would not recommend Bigpond ADSL for business use and don't even think
about trying to get support for Unix/Linux for any broadband product from
Bigpond.

Regards,

Robert