[H-GEN] VNC for console apps??

Russell Stuart russell at stuart.wattle.id.au
Thu May 15 19:49:11 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 08:48, Robert Stanford wrote:
> > Does anybody know if there exists a program that will let a remote user
> > view on Linux console & send keystrokes to it?  Like a text version of
> > VNC really.
>

> A program called screen would probably fill this hole.

>From memory, screen only lets you attach to other screen sessions.  Thus
you can not just "see what is on the console".  For example, if kernel
messages are appearing on the console and mucking up the display you
won't see it with screen.

It also interprets one key as a meta key.  It we were to run every
program in a screen session the staff will almost certainly press that
meta key by mistake.  I think that cause more confusion than having
screen would solve.