[H-GEN] Rob's Big Switch

Christopher Biggs listjunkie at pobox.com
Thu May 15 07:11:19 EDT 2003

Stuart Longland <stuartl at longlandclan.hopto.org> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> At the moment, the first command I enter is bash, to get the
> Bourne-Again shell, but I'd preferr it if I could just open a console
> and have bash straight away.

I had the same issue once on a SCO Unix 3.2v4 box[1], only it was
"got SCO's almost-but-not-quite-totally-unlike-bourne-shell, want
bash".

Solution:

  chris at stallion:~$ cat .profile
  PATH=$PATH:/usr/local:/usr/local/bin:$HOME/bin:.
  export PATH
  /usr/bin/prwarn                 # issue a warning if password due to expire
  exec /u/chris/bin/bash -login

--cjb

[1] Said box is still in the machine room but has been retired from official
    duties for the last six months.  I will very soon take *great*
    pleasure in hammering a large wooden stake through its black flabby heart.