[H-GEN] newbie install woes

Ewan Edwards Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com
Tue May 13 00:24:26 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 12:19 pm, R. Shafran wrote:

> I'm having trouble installing both FreeBSD 5.0 & RedHat 9.0
>
> I'll take up FreeBSD first:
>
> My system guts: Asus A7V133C motherboard; 512mb ram; Athlon 1.0Ghz;
> Sound Blaster audio AC97; Asus nVidia GeForce256 32mb AGP video; Symbios
> 875/NCR 53C875/876 PCI UW SCSI xtrlr with sda=9Gb UW SCSI, sdb=4.3Gb
> UltraSCSI, sdc=4.3Gb UltraSCSI, Sony CDRX140E ATAPI CDRW on primary IDE
> connector jumpered Master.
>
> FreeBSD 5.0 tries to boot but hangs at "ata0: resetting devices.."
>
> I couldn't find anything useful on a Google search. No response yet from
> BSDVault forum.
>
> Last year I had an ATAPI CDROM drive as master (& only) device on
> primary IDE & no CDRW and I had installed FreeBSD 4.6 successfully, so
> my guess is it's something to do with the CDRW replacing the CDROM.
>
> Any ideas?

I can't say anything about the FreeBSD, but I can say that in the last 12
months I have tried and failed a number of times to install Debian (3.0) and
Redhat (7.3, 8.0) distros on a system that was entirely SCSI or SCSI hdd +
IDE cdrom.

In each case the error was to do with the installer insisting that it had to
have an IDE hdd to install onto.  No attempt to install on to the SCSI hdd at
all.  Could not even coax the installer into looking at the SCSI hdd.  :-(

In one case, just to satisfy myself that there was no hardware issue, I
grabbed a win2k cd and installed Windows 2000 to the SCSI hdd without any
problems at all.

To this day the only 'SCSI' systems I've had any luck getting Linux onto have
been a couple of Dell PE2650 servers with SCSI RAID controllers and VMware
Workstation 3.2.

Sorry this isn't of any help, I just had to have the winge.  :-(