[H-GEN] Samba on SuSE 8.1

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Fri May 9 23:34:41 EDT 2003

Tony Nugent <tony at linuxworks.com.au> writes:

> On Thu May 08 2003 at 09:43, "Michael Anthon" wrote:
>> From: "Jason Parker-Burlingham" <jasonp at uq.net.au>
>> > The [s] in "[s]amba" means "match any of the characters `s'".  If we
>> Ooooh, nice one, much better than my usual solution (when I care to remove
>> it) of using
>> ps auxww | grep processname | grep -v grep
> In fact, you can refine that even further...
>   ps auxww | grep processnam\[e\]

> The "\[" and "\]" characters change the grep'ed string to glob only
> matches on the regular expression - which doen't include the grep
> command itself.  (You can use this on any single character within
> the process name).  Neat trick, try it.

That would be the same trick as I posted, but with one of its little
niggles removed.  What you're doing when you quote the square brackets
is quoting them *from the shell*.  You can see this by running

        $ grep \[f\]oo

and moving to another terminal and grepping for grep processes:

        $ ps ax | grep [g]rep
        30638 pts/2    S      0:00 grep [f]oo

So you can see that grep gets a bracketed regular expression.  The way
I do it does too, with one caveat:  Unless you quote the brackets from
the shell, it will try to glob files in the current directory; if it
finds one the shell will replace your `[f]oo' with `foo'.  This is why
at least in theory it'd be good to quote the brackets.  In practice it
hardly ever matches and grep gets the argument without further
stuffing about.

>> /me adds that one to his list of tricks
> /you can add this one too :)

It's the same trick.  You might find it easier to type

     grep '[p]attern'

jason
--
``Oooh!  A gingerbread house!  Hansel and Gretel are set for life!''