[H-GEN] Getting Samba to read NTFS partitions

Robert Stanford rob at rotapile.com
Mon Mar 24 04:33:17 EST 2003

Robert Kearey wrote:

> Nope. Mounting ntfs is very problematical, and despite recent advances
> in the ntfs drivers, Red Hat won't support even read-only ntfs mounts.
> In a future release, this will probably change, but Red Hat doesn't want
> to deal with the "You ate my partition!" reports Mandrake is probably
> getting.

I was lucky enough to have a chat with the ntfs guys via irc last week,
current state seems to be

1. Read only is fine.
2. Read write is "ok" as long as you run ntfsfix after unmounting in
linux (see man ntfsfix)  however  - You have been warned!
3. ntfsundelete is freakin brilliant (and free) we just recovered 10,000
small files for an embroidery company last week.
4. Safe read write is a long way off unless someone wants to pay for the
amount of time it'd take to perfect it. The filesystem seems to use some
sort of key, they reckon they've stumbled across a few of the bits but
thats all.

Safest bet would be to have a fat32 partition containing the things you
want to access in both OS's. You may sleep better.

--
Robert Stanford <rob at rotapile.com>