[H-GEN] altering disk partitions

Michael Anthon michael at anthon.net
Tue Mar 18 07:16:45 EST 2003

> I have a question however - my disk usage is as follows
>
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hdd1               249871     39532    197439  17% /
> none                         0         0         0   -  /proc
> none                         0         0         0   -  /proc/bus/usb
> none                         0         0         0   -  /dev
> none                         0         0         0   -  /dev/pts
> /dev/hda5              1249104     88500   1160604   8% /home
> /dev/hda1              8209164   3106304   5102860  38% /mnt/windows
> /dev/hdd7               421680      8863    391046   3% /tmp
> /dev/hdd5               845256    797612      4708 100% /usr
> /dev/hdd6               555564     51236    476108  10% /var

This isn't an answer but more of a question about disk management for those
that perhaps have more of a clue than me.  When I first started playing
around with Linux I made the same mistake of setting up all these extra
partitions as a lot of the howtos seemed to suggest.  In practice I've
always found this to be a right pain in the arse for home machines.  It's a
different matter when it comes to production systems, the last thing you
want is some J. Random Luser running a process that fills up your root
partition.

For home based systems these days I tend to just make a small boot partition
then put everything else on a single large partition.  It avoids the
problems you have just run into... no space in /usr and heaps in /home.
Anyone got any comments on why this might be a bad idea?

Cheers
Michael