[H-GEN] Re: ADSL [ was [HUM-TALKS] Talks Update]

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Fri Mar 14 23:31:55 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Russell Stuart wrote:

> It would be nice if it was so simple.  If ADSL line is in one place.
> Me, the modem and the Linux box are in another.  I want to configure the
> modem and the Linux box so that a non-computer literate user can just go
> and plug them in.  This puts me in a difficult position - I have never
> used the modem nor the ISP before, but I can't test anything.  I guess
> this means that what I set up probably won't work, but I want to have
> enough understanding of what is going on so I can debug it over the
> phone.

Given it is a unix box, why not set it up so you can get on to the box &
configure insitu?  Running a getty on a serial port to allow dialin access
via a modem is easy.  Setting the box up to allow for a serial console
(allows access to everything from the boot loader on) is not much more
difficult.  Get the user to plug all the right bits in & then dialin.
Long distance calls may cost a little but it is typically much less
painful than trying to debug stuff over the phone.

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119