[H-GEN] FW: Onboard network cards

David Jericho david.jericho at bytecomm.com.au
Wed Mar 12 20:16:17 EST 2003

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 06:24:35AM +1000, Nikolai Lusan wrote:
> In most 2.4.x kernels that I have seen the driver for the intel ethernet
> express pro/100 card (very nice, I have several) is the only one
> compiled into the kernel. These lines here are that driver trying to
> load - although in the 2.4 series the driver should not be called e100,
> that is from the 2.5 series kernels.

Not quite true. eepro100 is the 2.4 standard driver. The e100 driver
is supplied by Intel under this under the GPL license (as far as I can
recall - used to be BSD iirc).

The e100 driver from Intel is a better module, and recommended if
you're concerned about performance or if you're trying to do 802.1q.

I can't seem to find it in the archives, have you mentioned exactly
whta model your motherboard is? The output of /sbin/lspci would help
quite a bit.

Depending how new the motherboard is (733MHz chip iirc?), it may even
be the e1000 module.

--
David Jericho

--