[H-GEN] FW: Onboard network cards

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at humbug.org.au
Wed Mar 12 15:24:35 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Bruce Campbell wrote:

<SNIP>
Bruces comments are correct but not to harp :)
</SNIP>

Firstly we have established that you are runing what looks like a SuSE
compiled variant of the 2.4.19 kernel.

> The key lines that you want from dmesg are:
>
> 	Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Driver - version 2.1.15
> 	Copyright (c) 2002 Intel Corporation
> 	PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 01:08.0
> 	e100: selftest failed
> 	e100: Failed to initialize, instance #0

In most 2.4.x kernels that I have seen the driver for the intel ethernet
express pro/100 card (very nice, I have several) is the only one
compiled into the kernel. These lines here are that driver trying to
load - although in the 2.4 series the driver should not be called e100,
that is from the 2.5 series kernels.

> Now, it looks like you have a dud ethernet interface on the motherboard,
> but there are a few threads on linux-kernel about some of the newer
> kernels having issues with PCI bridges which indicates that its a more
> generalised problem.  The thread starting at
> http://search.luky.org/linux-kernel.2003/msg02233.html has a patch for the
> kernel, but since you're trying to install Linux, its probably not for
> you.

While I don't agree that the device is "a dud" I could use some more
information about the device.

What chipset does it use?
What does it identify itself as?
Do you have the mother board specs (or a URL I could view)?

on my main machine lspci shows this:

nikolai at kiev:/usr/src/linux-2.4.19/fs$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 620 Host (rev 02)
00:00.1 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev d0)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 85C503/5513 (rev b3)
00:01.1 Class ff00: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] ACPI
00:01.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7001 USB Controller (rev 11)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS 530 Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
00:09.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7892A U160/m (rev 02)
00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8029(AS)
00:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 04)
00:0f.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1969 Solo-1 Audiodrive (rev 01)

Most of this stuff is on board gear that I don't use (USB, sound the SIS
video output), some of it I do. The "Ethernet controller" lines are the
ones of interest, they show that I have 2 NIC's and that the pci device
numbers identify them as a Realtek 8029 and and Inther Ethernet Express
PRO. Knowing the device types I can then use the correct drivers for
those cards.

If you cold show us the similar lines from your machine we should be
able to poiint you toward the right files to load to get your card up and
running.

Nikolai