[H-GEN] Mobiles and laptops

Christopher Biggs chris at epipe.com.au
Tue Mar 11 02:11:55 EST 2003

David Findlay <david at davsoft.com.au> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> I'm now the proud owner of a 233mhz laptop. I'm wondering what I would need to
> be able to hook up the laptop to my mobile phone so I can use the net
> anywhere? And does the stuff support Linux? Thanks,

If you have a phone with an internal GSM modem (high end phones only)
all you need is a cord for your phone that connects to the serial
port.  The phone then works (from the point-of-view of your unix box)
just like a normal modem.

Oh, and you'll also need a sturdy wheel-barrow (to put the money in when
you go to pay your phone bill).

--cjb

(Somewhere around here I have a photo of 8 mobile phones plugged into
 one of $ORKPLACE's routers, set up as a transparent load-sharing
 internet connection bundle.   It worked rather well, but it's an
 expensive way to surf pr0n.)