[H-GEN] Ghost for Linux or *nix for that matter

Ewan Edwards Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com
Thu Jun 19 01:30:08 EDT 2003

On Thursday 19 June 2003 01:32 am, pyrotek wrote:

> Sorry to but into the Topic but on the subject of cloning machines, is
> it possible in Linux to give a full set of drivers needed to work on
> different systems but still be the same base image, What I am trying to
> say is there a Linux = to Sysprep from windows?
> OR am I on the wrong track here lol

I'm not aware of anything for Linux even remotely like Sysprep from Windows.
I suspect that such a tool is quite unnecessary due (I guess) to the
different OS architecture.

In the past I've found that I could take the hdd out of one machine and stick
it into another quite different machine and it would still boot and run okay.
That even included booting a desktop box on a hdd from a laptop (with
suitable cable adaptor).  This is how I used to get ISOs downloaded at Humbug
onto my server at work.

Some caveats.

I only did this with Redhat 7.0, 7.1, and 7.2 running 'as installed' kernels.

This does not work putting the hdd from an Athlon based machine into an Intel
based machine.  I never tried the other way around, so I don't know.

I only ever ran the 'foreign' system at run level 3 (ie: no X).

You need to monitor the boot so that when kudzu finds different hardware
(network adaptor etc.), you can start the re-configure process.