[H-GEN] onefang's theory of monitor speed. Was: flat panel monitors with Linux?

David Seikel won_fang at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 17 19:00:30 EDT 2003

 --- Matthew Sellers <msellers at bigpond.com> wrote:
> As was mentioned earlier the monitor has to use circuits such as phase
> locked loops to discover the horizontal sync frequency. Unlike a lot of
> situations in which these type of circuits are used, (i.e. digital radio
> tuner scanning) the time it takes the circuit to lock onto the sync
> pulses (carrier frequency) is not a primary design constraint.
> The likelihood is that they discovered that they could make a monitor
> which used fewer components and so become cheaper to manufacture at the
> sole expense of taking longer to sync. As an engineering decision cost
> wins out so long as the device still conforms to its specifications.

Economics as an explanation, that I will buy B-).

> If you are concerned about the discrepancy the best course of action is
> probably write to the manufacturer and explain why you think the time to
> sync should be a design constraint.

I was more concerned about whether this was as wide spread as I suspect.
The very few test results I have seen have all supported my theory.  I
would like to see someone say "I just paid thousands of dollars for this
monitor that is so bleeding edge that the blood of the designers on the
circuit boards is still warm.  It resyncs in a fraction of a second."

I do realise that the vast majority of the monitor buying public boots into
Windows and never changes resolution, so resyncing is a place the
manufacturers can reduce costs with impunity.  However, for geeks like
myself it is beginning to become a problem that will only get worse.

As for convincing companies to change their ways, I have spent way too long
as a minority market to ever hope for change.