[H-GEN] RFC: SCO

Sarah Hollings sarah at humanfactors.uq.edu.au
Tue Jun 17 01:20:52 EDT 2003

Raymond Smith wrote:

> All:
>
> I've been approached by a journalist for comment about why Australian
> Linux Groups appear silent on SCO's lawsuit against IBM. Specifically:
>     Why? Doesn't this concern the Linux community here? Or is everyone
>     just not bothered enough to get up and do something?
>
> Rather than simply reply with my opinion or the exec's, I thought I'd
> open this up for discussion on the list. I plan to summarise and send
> a reply early tomorrow morning.
>
> To start things off: I am not concerned about it as I see it as the last
> desperate attempts of an irrelevant company to survive. Furthermore, Ihave confidence in IBM's ability to win this lawsuit.

The dead grey hand of Microsoft is pulling the strings of SCO and
McBride here.  Its a FUD campaign where the corpse of SCO is being
wheeled around like something from Weekend at Bernies.

> The second part of his question is, I think, a little odd. But in my

Microsoft is hoping that responses from LUGS/the Linux community will
come from its most colourful exponents so that the press can get images
of kaftan-wearing Linux Loony lefties; because the fact IBM (and of
course Novell and Sun and other big names) are lending more and more
credence to OSS in the eyes of M$'s traditional market:

   http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030605/80/e1llm.html

> case, I can't see what HUMBUG could do about it. Perhaps we could send
> letters of support to IBM or issue a press release like AUUG.
> What do other people think?

I think a measured response in the form of a letter of support, or even
better a press release, stating things in terms the suits can grok is
the best plan.

Rgds,
--
Sarah Hollings                     IT Manager
sarah at humanfactors.uq.edu.au       The ARC Key Centre