[H-GEN] Graphical Login

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Jun 9 15:04:24 EDT 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Jason Parker-Burlingham wrote:

> Some mistakes, like deleting /etc (I did that once) aren't really

Even this is recoverable with a local system backup.  At each location
where I run systems for my own use, I have one box act as a backup server.
It gets a dump of the filesystems from each box on the lan.  From this
location I normally take offsite backups, but this step isn't necessary
unles you want a higher level of file redundancy.

Harddrives theses days are so large it is easy to set aside 20 or 40Gb for
a partition to act as a local backup location.

If you backup to a different partition on the same harddrive then a head
crash will finish you (unless you take additional backups) but it does
protect against most problems - even filesystem corruption.

Using dump or xfsdump I run the following schedule:

day 0		level 0 (full) dump
day 10		level 1	dump
day 20		level 2 dump
other days	leve 5 dump

Other dump strategies are possible like the "Towers of Hanoi".  Towers of
Hanoi favours recovery time, but my approach favours minimising the size
of dumps taken.  Full recoveries are so rare (hopefully :) that I
argue against a somewhat faster recovery if it costs so much more in data
storage.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119