[H-GEN] No SCSI emulation?

Tony Nugent tony at linuxworks.com.au
Thu Jun 5 00:00:13 EDT 2003

On Thu Jun 05 2003 at 12:37, Paul Cornford wrote:

> I recently bought myself a 52 speed LG (ATAPI) CD burner after being
> assured that it would work in RH8 which I am currently running. When I
> tried to run Xcdroast it complained about there being no SCSI emulation
> installed. The HOWTO has been no help to me. I have recompiled the
> kernel making sure I had SCSI support but I still get the "no SCSI
> emulation" error. Can anyone help me on this?

(There was no need to recompile the kernel, it's all there by
default).

moprobe ide-scsi

That's it, done.

(Add hdc=ide-scsi to your boot command line via grub.conf or
lilo.conf to make it permanent).

However, you might need to umount your cdrom and rmmod any cdrom
driver modules (especially ide-cd) before you manually do this.
(The sr_mod, scsi_mod and cdrom modules should be pre-loaded
automatically as dependencies along with ide-scsi).

In particular, if you have trouble doing this and/or have more than
one cdrom/dvd and you want to retain the others as an /dev/hdX
(ide/atapi) device, then you may need to specify:

options ide-cd ignore=hdc dma=1

in /etc/modules.conf to make the standard atapi cdrom driver ignore
the cdrom on /dev/hdc.  (See the output of "modinfo ide-cd"; the
dma=1 option can speed things up if the hardware is capable of it).

You should then be able to access your cdrom via /dev/scd0 rather
than /dev/hdc (or wherever you had it).  Make sure that /dev/cdrom
now points /dev/scd0 to allow other things to work as expected.

BTW, you use dev=0,0,0 to tell cdrecord where the burner is, but
that's the default anyway :-)   Also, the output of "cdrecord
-scanbus" can be helpful for diagnosing the status of your scsi
devices (so can all the files in /proc/scsi/).

Happy burning!

> Regards
> --
> Paul Cornford