[H-GEN] Tracking down Perl compilation hassles (was: RT3 under Debian)

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Tue Jun 3 22:40:37 EDT 2003

Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> writes:

> On 2003-06-03, Jason Parker-Burlingham wrote:
>> 2. This leaves a few mentions of "Can't locate Digest/Perl/MD5.pm in
>>    @INC".  @INC is the Perl equivalent of one's classpath.  Once we
>>    know a module isn't being found we know either @INC is incorrect or
>>    the module's source code doesn't isn't on the disk.
>> 3. A quick
>>       $ locate MD5.pm
>>    will tell you which is the case.
> It would appear to be installed.  The lines I found interesting
> from the locate output were:
>     /usr/lib/perl/5.8.0/Digest/MD5.pm
>     /usr/lib/perl5/Digest/MD5.pm

> So we obviously have Digest/MD5.pm, but it's actually looking
> for Digest/Perl/MD5.pm -- what is the "correct" fix for that?

If I remember correctly Digest::MD5 and Digest::Perl::MD5 are
different modules; CPAN.pm bears me out.  The former is written by the
most excellent Gisle Aas and it comes standard with Perl
these days.  Digest::Perl::MD5 is quite a different beast:

   cpan> i /Digest::Perl::MD5/
   Module id = Digest::Perl::MD5
       DESCRIPTION  Pure perl implementation of MD5
       CPAN_USERID  DELTA (Christian Lackas <delta at lackas.net>)
       CPAN_VERSION 1.5
       CPAN_FILE    D/DE/DELTA/Digest-Perl-MD5-1.5.tar.gz
       DSLI_STATUS  Mdph (mature,developer,perl,hybrid)
       INST_FILE    (not installed)

Why someone would want to write MD5 in Pure Perl is a bit beyond me.
It's bound to be godawful slow.

The error messages you've already posted suggest the C<use> statement
that offends the compiler is in /usr/share/perl5/RT/User_Overlay.pm at
(or around) line 53.  Exactly which module is RT3 expecting?  I would
certainly make sure that is installed rather than any alternative.

It's probably looking for Digest::Perl::MD5, but it's worth checking;
if that's the case then you can use CPAN.pm to install the module:

        $ sudo perl -MCPAN -e'install Digest::Perl::MD5'

jason
--
Stay up-to-date on what I'm doing lately:
                                 http://www.netacc.net/~burlingham