[H-GEN] PDA (linux) options

Paul Gearon pag at pisoftware.com
Tue Jul 29 21:40:04 EDT 2003

Paul Clarke wrote:
> Someone in an earlier post mentioned the ability to run a linux on the
> iPAQ. If anyone can shed some light on this I would be wrapped. I wanted
> to get a ssh client for the iPAQ, I only found 1 and at a cost and I
> still wasn't sure it would do what I wanted which was basically to be
> able to ssh into my linux box when I am at a humbug meeting (to avoid
> carting computers).
>
> My questions are can the PDA linux OS use a boot loader so that I can
> still have the MS OS on the PDA (I need it for work) and if so what is
> the memory usage and can the linux OS sit on a SD card?

No, you can't use a boot loader.  You save a copy of your flash memory
and then flash in a new system.  If the only thing you want is SSH then
you're out of luck here.  However, Opie (Open PDA Integrated
Environment) is fun and may do most of what you want.  Back up your iPaq
and try it out.  (use Google for details)

If you really need WinCE then I'd probably take an open source ssh
(preferably one for windows) and port it to WindowsCE.  At least MS lets
you download "eMbedded Visual C++ 3.0" for free.  (It's there, but it
took me ages to find it.  If you're interested and you can't find it
then let me know and I'll give you a copy)

--
Regards,
Paul Gearon

Software Engineer                Telephone:   +61 7 3876 2188
Plugged In Software              Fax:         +61 7 3876 4899
http://www.PIsoftware.com        PGP Key available via finger

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")