[H-GEN] Entering domain into a DNS

Christopher Biggs listjunkie at pobox.com
Mon Jul 28 17:16:21 EDT 2003

"Alex Delaforce" <alextdel at lithoptix.com> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> I'm setting up my first domain on the internet, I've registered my
> domain with www.domainresgistration.com.au. What do you do next to
> become live on the Internet? I have a Mandrake 9.1 server running apache
> and can access the site by its IP.
>
> I thought that the registration mob would enter the name and IP details
> into their DNS. They have a relegation form on their web site, but how
> do you organise a DNS server (and a second one)and therefore have the
> details to enter your domain details into the DNS relegation form?

Get thee to the DNS HOWTO.  (Oh, and if you're running a real domain,
which is at all "mission-critical" you'd be wise to purchase the
O'Reilly _DNS_and_Bind_ book.)

There are people who will host DNS services for a fee, but you should
probably run your Mandrake box as the primary DNS, having someone else
do it is just too painful when you need to make urgent changes.   You
really should have configured and tested a primary DNS server BEFORE
going live on the domain---most registrants won't even accept
registration if you don't have a valid primary nameserver already working.

If you have a clueful ISP, they should generally agree to act as
secondary DNS for you, as part of the "Service" of which you are paying
them to be a "Provider".

--cjb