[H-GEN] linux is still too hard

Tony Bilbrough mtbilbro at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jul 14 19:47:46 EDT 2003

My sympathies to you, Greg.
May I add to your discussion point, with my latest effort.

To install E Smith v5.1 as a Router/Firewall/Server thru a Cable Modem
to/from Telstra Bigpond. .[1]
The installation went onto an IBM 133 with 64 Mb RAM and 6 Gb hdd,
exactly as every one said it would. [2]
Absolutely with out a hitch.
And adding the correct info was all to easy during set up stages, too.
Then a recent version of the BPA Login script had to be installed.
For those unloved and unwashed, of my ilk:
mount /dev/fd0
cd /mnt/floppy
ls
rpm -Uvh bpalogin [tab]
cd bpalogin-2.0 [tab]
Then
vi /etc/bpalogin.conf
to add user name and password
[Have I got the path right on that one?]

Then 3 frustrating days of fiddling, pleading phone calls, and hunting
on the net - lucky I had a Windows lappie, with the Bigpond cd handy, eh?

Sigh - the solution was so simple - once you know!
The bloke/blokette wrote a login script that dumped the login sim link
into the level 5 directory. Suitable for most installations, I suppose?
[rc5.d] S50bpalogin

But the sim link had to be in level 7 for E Smith to connect - so [3]
cd /etc/rc7.d
ln -s /etc/init.d/bpalogin S50bpalogin

Thanks Stephen and ? for showing me the way to fix it on Sunday evening,
when you were supposed to be out partying!

Next Humbug I will try installing E Smith v6 on some spare boxen, if any
one wants to watch, or try it too.
cheers
Tony Bilbrough

[1] before I generate too much flack about placing a Server on the
firewall/router. Shortly there will be a little Netgear solid state
jobie in front of this machine. And I do hope I don't find more
'expert/arcane' semi psychic knowledge vital, to complete that leg.

[2] E Smith v5.1 is based on the excellent RedHat 7.1 distro

[3] *nix only uses levels 1-6, in the general scheme of things, I believe.
E Smith uses a level 7 - to initiate all its non interactive startup scripts
….Bugger