[H-GEN] Load balancing

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue Jul 8 13:11:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Joe Skilton wrote:

> Most of our traffic is purely small persistant connections to game servers
> and I was under the impression that if I balance outgoing connections
> correctly the incoming packets would return over the same PPP link,

Incoming return packets need not travel anything like the path the
original outgoing packets took.  Some ISPs regularly engage in "triangular
routing" where the incoming and outgoing data streams are on competely
different physical network channels - eg, IHUG the Satellite ISP in NZ
routes downstream data to you via a Satellite dish and upstream via a
secondary link that might be modem, isdn or adsl, and need not even be
connected to one of their Points of Presence (ie, it can be connected to
any other ISP).

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119