[H-GEN] Load balancing

Joe Skilton shnads at 3blokes.mine.nu
Tue Jul 8 06:46:56 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "R&J Stuart" <rjstuart at bigpond.net.au>

> Greg Black wrote:
>
> >>                     At work I am looking at getting 2 1.5m/bit DSL
> >>connections(we currently have one).  A FreeBSD box is using PPP nat to
route
> >>our current connection effectively, but i'm a little worried about what
> >>might happen when two PPP connections are available on the one machine,
will

> [snip]
>
> > This is Not Easy -- but it has been covered about a million
> > times on the FreeBSD list devoted to this subject.  Read the
> > archives of the net at FreeBSD.org list and you'll get lots of
> > information.
>
> No experience doing this with FreeBSD, but in general load balancing
> situations, the short answer is that you can do a lot at your own end
> and therefore control OUTGOING traffic (traf headed away from you) with
> no problem.  The bigger issue is getting stuff load balanced from the
> other end - the other end is where you usually want share the load (ADSL
> is all about downloading isn't it), you can't do that without the help
> of the ISP.
Most of our traffic is purely small persistant connections to game servers
and I was under the impression that if I balance outgoing connections
correctly the incoming packets would return over the same PPP link,
therefore Balancing the incoming traffic aswell as most of our connections
have a similar upstream/downstream rates, please correct me if i'm wrong.
The main concern here is 15 clients connecting to game servers and lagging
because the server is pushing it all through one 1.5m/bit connection, and it
is ADSL, sorry about the missing A :).

Thanks to Greg's info on the BSD lists it's all becoming clearer, and now
thanks to your suggestion i'm chatting with the ISP to get it done properly,
thanks guys :)
    Joe