[H-GEN] scsi drive won't spin up

James C. McPherson James.McPherson at Sun.COM
Wed Jan 29 00:24:23 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:57:26 +1000 Tony Nugent <tony at linuxworks.com.au> wrote:
> I have a scsi drive here (18Gb seagate barracuda) that I've tried
> connecting to an adaptec aha-2940UW controller card (which works
> fine, although it does not seem to have a bios on it).  When the
> aic7xxx driver tries to initialise the drive, it complains that it
> fails to spin up.  (I would try diagnostics on it, but without a
> bios on the card I can't easily do this).
> Is this drive dead, or can it be resurrected?
> I also have another scsi drive (36G quantum atlas 10kII) that gives
> errors in the first sector (so the partition table etc can't be
> read)... is this one also a lost cause?

Tony,
I'd be more suspicious of the card to start with. Do you have another scsi
card you can attach the two drives to in order to test them? If the drives
work fine on another controller then you've got an interesting aic7xxx.
Do you have the lastest driver and firmware patches installed for the
card? Is the aic7xxx driver the right one to use for this card (I wouldn't
have thought so...)

hth,
James C. McPherson
--
Pacrim PTS Engineer            828 Pacific Highway
                               Gordon NSW