[H-GEN] spinning down (longish)

Sarah Hollings sarah at humanfactors.uq.edu.au
Fri Jan 24 00:35:04 EST 2003

David Jericho wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 01:53:49PM +1000, Sarah Hollings wrote:
>
>>** web proxy, junkbuster, etc
>

> Depends on your traffic patterns if that's going to serve some
> purpose.

I guess the forseen benefit here is when pulling down
security.debian.org updates to the 3-4 debian machines here, or the
Win2k boxen.  Apparently ms updates cache quite well.

>>(( Yes, Raymond and I have more computers than is probably healthy.
>>Ray: you still have 3 or 4 fixed-freq 21" monitors I've been nagging you
>>to get rid of! ))
>
> Ooh, I might like one of those ;)

Legend has it that a sync-on green Display card, such as the Matrox; or
a dongle (or a few diodes and thingies soldered together) for a normal
card can get these things working well with Linux.

They have Sony tubes and should be good for a while, but the job of
getting them working is non-trivial and no guarantees are offered.

If you're interested email me and arrange to come and have a look at
them (I've got today off, and free tomorrow morning).

>>I'd like to use hdparm to set them to go to sleep.
>>But this guy:
>>  http://dissemble.net/tlug-archive/01-06/11910.html
>>...thinks that's a bad idea.
>

> I also think he's full of crack. I usually set the time outs on my

Some of this deep magic and suspicion I think harks back to the days
when your drives geometry was what it said it was, and you had to run
"park" under DOS, before you powered the machine down.

> SCSI disks are made to run 24/7. IDE desktop disks aren't. The best
> thing you can do is start running the SMART drive monitoring stuff
> that comes with your OS.

This sounds like a good plan - thanks.