[H-GEN] spinning down (longish)

David Jericho david.jericho at bytecomm.com.au
Thu Jan 23 23:40:07 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 01:53:49PM +1000, Sarah Hollings wrote:
> ** web proxy, junkbuster, etc

Depends on your traffic patterns if that's going to serve some
purpose.

> ** MP3's....

Silenced, and hidden in your stereo equipment, this can be neat. It
can also double as many of the above tasks, because it's the most
likely to be on at all times.

> (( Yes, Raymond and I have more computers than is probably healthy.
> Ray: you still have 3 or 4 fixed-freq 21" monitors I've been nagging you
> to get rid of! ))

Ooh, I might like one of those ;)

> I'd like to use hdparm to set them to go to sleep.
> But this guy:
>   http://dissemble.net/tlug-archive/01-06/11910.html
> ...thinks that's a bad idea.

I also think he's full of crack. I usually set the time outs on my
desktops to 30 minutes, long enough that odd blips won't let the drive
sleep and go up and down like a yoyo, but short enough that they
actually do power down in the early hours of the morning or when
they're not used. Some drives are smart enough to slow down rather
than stop.

Depending on a machines task, I sometimes enable power saving on the
drives of servers that have IDE disks.

SCSI disks are made to run 24/7. IDE desktop disks aren't. The best
thing you can do is start running the SMART drive monitoring stuff
that comes with your OS.

--
David Jericho
Senior Systems Administrator, Bytecomm Pty Ltd

--
Scanned and found clear of viruses by EntireScan.  http://www.entirescan.com/