[H-GEN] spinning down (longish)

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Thu Jan 23 23:19:21 EST 2003

Sarah Hollings <sarahhollings at optushome.com.au> writes:

> I'd like to use hdparm to set them to go to sleep.
> But this guy:
>    http://dissemble.net/tlug-archive/01-06/11910.html
> ...thinks that's a bad idea.
>
> Opinions, wild conjecture and offers for computer junk gratefully
> received...  ;-)

Well, I do know that it can be hard to have the drive spin down, since
Unix boxes tend to use the disk a lot overnight (when the machine
would otherwise be idle).  I'm not sure I like the idea of writing
data to disk *less* often.

I've no idea about the mechanics involved.  My philosophy, borrowed
from the venerable Rob Brockway, is to say "Rust is Cheap" and just
buy new disks as required.
--
``I may have agreed to something involving a goat.''  -- CJ