[H-GEN] HUMBUG cluster WAS Re: [HUM-TALKS] Talk / Demonstration of MOSIX

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Tue Jan 21 13:05:03 EST 2003

David Seikel <won_fang at yahoo.com.au> writes:

>  --- Ben Fowler <fowlerb at optushome.com.au> wrote:
> > In fact, a couple of people in the club were considering chucking
> > together a HUMBUG Beowulf cluster as a special club project, but it
> > never got off the ground since we couldn't find an economical way to
> > house and power up the pile of motherboards we had access to.  It's a
> > shame, because a toy Beowulf cluster would be a fun and interesting toy
> > to play with, even for the experience of writing and testing some toy
> > parallel applications.
>
> Any body interested in trying it again?  Personally I have programmed every
> class of computing device except supercomputers, and I have this hole to
> fill in my resume B-).

The clustering isn't necessarily difficult; the tricky bit is actually
having a problem to work on which is parallelizable, and the
programming know-how to write a solution---as I recall the Beowulf
cluster thingy works by using pvm, but I'm not sure.
--
``I may have agreed to something involving a goat.''  -- CJ