[H-GEN] Win XP roaming profiles with Linux?

Rick Phillips rickp at sunstatestamps.com.au
Sat Jan 18 23:18:45 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 13:41, Michael Anthon wrote:

> > You should be able to use XP with samba - you should be able to see and
> > connect to shares (you might need to apply a registry hack or two
> > signorseal etc).  Being part of a windows domain is really an central
> > authentication issue; you can still connect to other windows and samba
> > servers without joining a domain; you just lose out on roaming profiles,
> > logon scripts and central authenticationn.

I use Samba at work and it is quite easy to set up (with the usual small learning curve)

The /etc/smb.conf file on most distros is very well commented.  From the
little that I know, you will need to run your roaming profiles from the
Samba Server.  The following is a little relevant snippet from the
smb.conf itself.

Hope it helps -

# Where to store roaming profiles for WinNT and Win2k
#        %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
#        You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
;   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

Regards,

Rick