[H-GEN] Accessing Samba shares from a windows machine

Paul Clarke paul at qfm.org.au
Thu Jan 9 18:16:16 EST 2003

Hi all,

I'm sure it is something simple that I am missing (due to working too
late on this). I have a debian box with samba installed and some shares
set up via swat. I can see the server on the network. Here are the
problems:

* I am not able to log in to domain, I keep getting the "No domain
server is available to validate your password" message.
* I can see the workgroup using windows net view
* I can only see shares if the guest is ok in the share but as "nobody"
has limited rights I can only see the shares not write to them (I will
tighten this up for nobody once I get it working)

It is if there is no domain server on the samba box. Do I nee to have
WINS emulation turned on?

I will be taking the box to Longreach on the 16th and will be camping
till the 13th so time is against me and I need to have it working before
I take it out. I can make the guest account one that has rights but that
will not be much better than what is there at the moment.

Thanks

Paul.

The short version from the swat congig page is:
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from bristol.mshome.net (192.168.0.1)
# Date: 2003/01/10 19:04:06

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = QFOM
	netbios name = QFOM
	server string = %h server (Samba %v)
	security = SHARE
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000