[H-GEN] dvd reccomendations?

Paul Gearon pag at PISoftware.com
Tue Jan 7 21:31:58 EST 2003

I know the drive will have been bought already, but still...

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Sandra Milne wrote:
> >I've heard (what might be an urban legend) to avoid the slot loading
> >drives, storeperson claimed he had seen a DVD launch itself and embed into
> >wall while spinning at 000's rpm.
>
> We have a Pioneer slot-loading 8x here that is quite reliable. Never seen
> it launch anything out quickly though. I'm betting on urban legend due to
> the nature of a slot-loading drive.

I'm skeptical too, though catching an edge might be enough to pull a disc
out of a drive.  1000's of RPM is silly, and embedding itself into a wall
just isn't going to happen.

The reason for my 2c here is to point out one little hassle I've had with
a slot loading drive.  Recently, after doing a hard drive shuffle and a
BIOS upgrade I had cause to boot my PC off a rescue CD.  It was one of
those credit card discs.  That's when it occurred to me that there's a
problem with slot loading drives and smaller discs.  :-)

Regards,
Paul