[H-GEN] dvd reccomendations?

Sandra Milne silne at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jan 3 21:34:34 EST 2003

At 11:56 4/01/2003 +1000, you wrote:
>16x speed seems to be the standard, brands available are
>Pioneer, Samsung, Mitsubishi, Sony, AOpen, LG and 4KUS?

My AOpen 12x is the dodgiest piece of equipment I have ever purchased.
Would definitely not buy that brand again. YMMV.

>as a general rule I try to avoid the cheapest product.

I did, and I still ended up with a lemon :-/

>I've heard (what might be an urban legend) to avoid the slot loading
>drives, storeperson claimed he had seen a DVD launch itself and embed into
>wall while spinning at 000's rpm.

We have a Pioneer slot-loading 8x here that is quite reliable. Never seen
it launch anything out quickly though. I'm betting on urban legend due to
the nature of a slot-loading drive.

Sandra.

silne at optusnet.com.au
http://members.optushome.com.au/silne
"[The Starships Enterprise] are like bra sizes; when you go up a letter
they get
bigger and more impressive."
             -- Kewl Quote from Slashdot Post.