[H-GEN] Hardware Upgrade

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Mon Jan 6 21:55:24 EST 2003

David Jericho <david.jericho at bytecomm.com.au> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 08:34:44PM +1000, Robert Brockway wrote:
> > If you're using tar make sure you don't copy /proc and don't bother with
> > /tmp, /var/tmp, your cdrom or floppy as these may get caught up in a
> > blanket tar of the system.
> --exclude maybe an option of interest. Easier to
> "tar -c --exclude /proc -f - /*" than to manually list all directories
> you want.

Excluding directories?  Ffft.  It's much simpler to tell the software
not to cross mount points, and then prune as necessary.  xfsdump won't
cross filesystems, you can exclude files and directories (even by size
if you want to), and only dump a subdirectory of the partition, if you
want.

I would kludge the same functionality if I had to use tar by
generating the list of files to be backed up with find(1).

Oh, and to present another option, one can also plan ahead by using
RAID or LVM and doing a disk shuffle once the data has been copied its
new home (while you're still using it, natch) and still be able to use
the computer at the same time!

(Actually, LVM is very handy in that it'll give you a snapshot on a
per-partition basis if you ask it to, as well, so you can be assured
of not getting inconsistent data, memory permitting.)
--
``To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.''