[H-GEN] oops - debian unstable woes

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Sun Jan 5 18:54:35 EST 2003

Sandra Milne <silne at optusnet.com.au> writes:

> At 00:12 5/01/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >Sounds like the X server configuration is somehow incorrect.
> Yup it does. I'm just not sure what to do about it other than perhaps
> try out the binary driver supplied by NVidia.

Are there any error messages logged by the server as it starts up?

> >Why use xf86config?  The debconf frontend for X works just fine.
> It asks us questions we don't understand, although your paste led us
> to the excellent man page -- thanks for that! I didn't realise there
> was a man page for the config file, although a little thought would
> probably have led to the trying of various man pages.

I'm sure you can ask here about anything you don't understand (I just
now got through rejigging my XF86Config-4, as it happens, and
everything is working just great).

And by the by, I don't think I can recommend the nvidia drivers,
either.  The only time I had a box with an NV card in it, I tried the
drivers a few time and found the whole deal to be wholly unpleasant.

> >[1] : $ nethack -s all | $EDITOR
> >       No  Points     Name                                   Hp [max]
> >        1    2660620  Drick-Pri-Hum-Mal-Neu died on the Astral Plane.
> >                      Killed by Pestilence (with the Amulet). - [225]
> Ouch. My condolences.

Yeah.  Pestilence happens.  I was *so* annoyed.
--
| ``I think I'm going to throw up.''                                    |