[H-GEN] monkey business

Bruce Campbell bc at humbug.org.au
Tue Feb 18 06:53:33 EST 2003

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, David Jericho wrote:

> By the letter of the law, the correct method (in temporary installations
> such as HUMBUG), to cover the cable with some carpet or cardboard to create
> a small gradual rise over the object, and then attaching that covering
> object with gaffer tape, or similar strength bonding agents. Warning
> signs should also be placed so people do know there are objects on the floor.

Naturally, if the tape or other coverings[1] that you're using is
expensive[2], you want to minimise the number of walkways that you need to
cross.  Whilst suspending cables from the lighting framework is a method
of doing this, if you cannot reach there in a 'proper' fashion (eg,
ladder), you are risking yourself and your organisation.

Hence, one method that you could use (in Humbug's case) is to run tables
against the walls (either tape the network cable around the door frame, or
tape down over the walkway), and a smaller 'C' in the middle (tape down
from the front desk to there).

Whack the switches at suitable intervals[3], and carry a set of pliers for
satisfactorily dealing with any cables which stray off desks into
walkways.

--==--
Bruce.

[1] For our meetings, we cart about 40 metres of rubber matting, and use
    the tape[2] for inconvienent places. [4]

[2] 'CablePath', ~15cm wide, non-sticky bit in the centre, about AUD $ 2 /
    metre.  Well worth it for the inconvience saved in the bump.

[3] Cable length intervals, unless your switches are so old as to require
    percussive maintainance.

[4] I *hate* venues without in-built cabling, and running cables in
    obscure locations.