[H-GEN] Samba woes continued.

Ewan Edwards Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com
Sun Feb 16 22:44:48 EST 2003

On Monday 17 February 2003 10:59 am, Patrick Nichols wrote:
> My samba problem did not go away as I thought it had, (and mentioned
> previously) it continues to confound me.

I don't recall the details of previous posts on this topic, so I don't know
how relevant the following will be.

> Any ideas what could be making the following error occur?  I've got the
> following settings in my smb.conf.  The file in question opened read only
> after the 31 second pause.  (file was not in use by any other user)
>
>         blocking locks = no
>         locking = yes
>         oplocks = yes
>         level2 oplocks = no
>         kernel oplocks = no
>         strict locking = yes

One of my Samba servers has the following parameters set - mostly by default -
and I'm not seeing any entries in the logs to do with oplocks.  Nor am I
getting any users complaining about files opening slowly.  Both the Samba
servers are running RH7.3 with Samba 2.2.7.

<snip>
[root at garnet samba]# testparm | grep lock

        kernel oplocks = Yes
        lock spin count = 3
        lock spin time = 10
        oplock break wait time = 0
        lock dir = /var/cache/samba
        block size = 1024
        veto oplock files =
        blocking locks = Yes
        fake oplocks = No
        locking = Yes
        oplocks = Yes
        level2 oplocks = Yes
        oplock contention limit = 2
        posix locking = Yes
        strict locking = No
[root at garnet samba]#
[root at garnet samba]# grep oplock /var/log/samba/*
[root at garnet samba]#
</snip>