[H-GEN] monkey business

David Jericho david.jericho at bytecomm.com.au
Sun Feb 16 21:43:12 EST 2003

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 11:14:40AM +1000, +0Ny BilbRough wrote:
> Because they may not safely be run along Steel box and angle, that is
> Dyna bolted to a concrete ceiling?
> - designed to carry a pay load that has a minimum 10:1 safety loading
> ratio [WHS. ]?

I can tell you WH&S doesn't allow you to use a chair or desk as a ladder
device.[1]

By the letter of the law, the correct method (in temporary installations
such as HUMBUG), to cover the cable with some carpet or cardboard to create
a small gradual rise over the object, and then attaching that covering
object with gaffer tape, or similar strength bonding agents. Warning
signs should also be placed so people do know there are objects on the floor.

> Or are we saying that some one 'thinks' this might be less safe than
> trailing cable along, and across, walking areas of the room
> - and is seeking guidance from the rest of us?
> Tripping Hazards, chair crushing net cable breaks not withstanding?

The currents involved in 10BaseT and 100BaseTX networks are so minimal
that cutting a cable with a chair or desk leg is of no real issue. I would
be far more worried about people with open cases and cutting power leads
(which aren't strung from above).

If you're concerned about the actual longevity of your cables, take
more care in the process of laying them, and bring a roll of tape to hold
them in place.

Fortunately HUMBUG has been lucky so far in this instance, but having
recently organised personal indemnity insurance[3] so I can share my ice
hockey knowledge with beginners, it's a scary world full of stupid greedy
people.

[1] I actually got laughed at by the OWH&S guy here at work[2] for
even confirming what I thought was the case.
[2] We do large scale wired and wireless installations for a wide
range of groups.
[3] I'm covered by the Australian league, the Queensland league, my
club, and the rink, and yet I still need to cover my butt more.

--
David Jericho

--
Scanned and found clear of viruses by EntireScan.  http://www.entirescan.com/