[H-GEN] What have I installed?

Christopher Biggs chris at epipe.com.au
Mon Feb 10 22:57:34 EST 2003

Ewan Edwards <Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> For most of you this may seem so simple as to be not worth answering ... but I
> would still like an answer that makes some sense.  Please keep in mind that I
> am not a computer programmer.
>
> Yesterday, I downloaded the tarball for a recent version of a fairly commonly
> used piece of software (dhcp-3.0.1rc11.tar.gz) to a RH7.3 box.  After having
> a look at the README file and running the obligatory "./configure", "make",
> and "make install" commands (without error I might add), I now want to know
> what files I have actually 'installed' on this box.  Can someone please tell
> me where I should look for some kind of list of what files (including man
> pages) have been generated and installed?

Three solutions to your immediate needs occur offhand:

1.  make -n install | lpr
    (print a list of what commands were performed, peruse result)

2.  cd /usr/local && find . -ctime -2 -print
    (find any files created in the last 2 days)

3.  Most packages with a "./configure" script are using GNU autoconf.
    The makefile will generally accept a "prefix" argument.

    If you do

        mkdir /tmp/notreallyusrlocal
        make install prefix=/tmp/notreallyusrlocal

    All the files will get installed under that directory, instead of
    under /usr/local/.

    You can then observe what files were created, without the
    background noise of an existing /usr/local/ directory.

    You could even use this approach to additionally detect if any
    files in /usr/local were MODIFIED by the "make install", in
    addition to new files that were created:

        diff -rqs /usr/local /tmp/notreallyusrlocal

The long-term solution is to use GNU stow:

(OK, so that makes 4 solutions (AMONGST our solutions...))

Using this package, you install packages under
/usr/local/stow/<package-name-and-version>, then use the "stow"
utility to create symlinks in /usr/local/*.  The stow utility can
"un-stow" the package when you want to upgrade.

eg.

        make
        make install prefix=/usr/local/stow/packagename
        cd /usr/local/stow
        stow -v packagename

--cjb