[H-GEN] adsl help

R&J Stuart rjstuart at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 8 18:28:36 EST 2003

Nikolai Lusan wrote:

> I have setup both telstra adsl and internode adsl, there are some
> differences. Notably telstra requires the use of pppoe and provide
> crappy usb modems (my main problem in getting the damn thing going),on
> the other hand internode uses a bridging modem (I used a dlink dsl-300)
> - a bridging modem does not require pppoe and is easier to setup.

I'm under the impression that you can insist on a non-usb ADSL modem.  Then
they supply you with a ADSL modem with the normal network plug and phone
plug.  We may have got the modems before they started doing USB.  We have 13
of these at work all work with out any problems at all on Bigpond ADSL
(aside from when the Telstra ADSL network craps itself).

PPPoE is trivial to set up, so if you are having a problem with ADSL, I'd
start to suspect that the ADSL network is down at the time.

Regards,

Robert