[H-GEN] HUMBUG cluster

Andrew Pullin andrew at hotspurbgc.com.au
Fri Feb 7 02:50:21 EST 2003

Hi All,
    It seems that we now have had offers for 4 Macs, AND 4 similar Pentium I
(or equivalent) machines. This is GREAT! We now have the hardware we need to
get started (or at least I think we do - do all these machines have
networking capability?) The next step is to get together and work out our
plan of attack on exactly what we want to do, and how we are going to do it.

    To start with, could all those who offered hardware please confirm that
they are willing to donate them to the group. Those were:

+0Ny BilbRough P100
Snowy Angelique Maslov aka 'Snowpony' P100
David Jericho AMD K-166, and a Celeron 300A
Marco Grigull 4 x powermac 7200/200

(I don't think I missed anyone, but if I did, I apologise and could you
remind me again)

This is important because we will also need hardware custodians who are
willing to lug the cluster(s) to the meeting each fortnight, and to set them
up somewhere at other times and connect them to the net so that the group
can access them during those other times. Based on the hardware we have been
offered, and the fact that we have two different architectures, I suggest
that we could actually have TWO 4 machine clusters that we could get going
with different needs and requirements, and the ultimate aim to get them to
talk to each other and morph into a bigger cluster. I would suggest that we
probably need two custodians of hardware also (one for each clusterette).
The duties of the custodians would be:

to reliably attend each meeting, for at least a major portion of the
meeting.
to bring the cluster to the meeting - help is probably available here
to set up the cluster at the meeting - help here too
to set the cluster up after the meeting somewhere it can be connected to the
net and left for SIG members to use during the other times.

Those would be the responsibilities of the custodians, but they are not as
bad as they sound. Each cluster would consist of a single full machine (i.e.
monitor, keyboard etc), and three boxes and a power board and some
networking cables, so they should be easily transportable. The net
requirements should be low bandwidth, so data shouldn't be a problem, it
would be more just getting it together and linking it into the net each
time. Could I have two volunteers who meet these requirements to stick up
their hands please.

    I will not be able to attend the next meeting as I will be in Melbourne,
but I am hoping to get to the one after. I would like to suggest that we all
get together at that meeting and hammer out our thoughts and dreams into
something we can then officially put to the Humbug Committee. How about we
aim for this, and in the meantime, could anyone who has anything to add -
post by all means any new or refined ideas. Could those donating hardware
also bring this hardware to that meeting and we will see what we have, and
what we might need to get. Finally, could a Committee person please put some
kind of note on the Humbug website asking for expressions of interest in a
Clustering Special Interest Group and lets get going.
    Cheers!
        Andrew.