[H-GEN] LSL retaliates over freight refund request

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Wed Dec 3 21:50:30 EST 2003

Well, Linux Systems Labs have capitulated over the issue of the
freight cost to return their faulty DVD, but rather ungraciously
as you can see from this:

    We received an unclear feedback from Consumer Affairs,
    basically this is disputable and can go to the court and up
    to the judge to decide.  However, he suggested us that since
    this is only $6.30 it is better to settle this dispute
    amongst ourselves.  We listened.  So today, we will send you
    a cheque for $6.30 to refund you the cost of the freight for
    sending the defective DVD to us.

But then they go on to punish me for sticking up for my rights:

    However, we would like to call for your attenttion that
    since there is dispute between us, we will not be able to
    offer you any services or goods in the future.

I'm fairly sure I've been told that this is not allowed, but I
can't find a reference to it on the ACCC web site.  Does anybody
know if I'm right?  Can anybody point me to a reference?

Of course, I'm not all that keen to do business with them again
after suffering from one really faulty DVD (not to mention a
replacement that took several tries to fully read), together
with their attitude to customer service.  Nevertheless, since
all alternative suppliers are overseas, I'm reluctant to let
them get away with refusing service like this.

Cheers, Greg