[H-GEN] Network boot testing at next meeting.

David Seikel won_fang at yahoo.com.au
Wed Aug 27 20:15:32 EDT 2003

In my efforts to allow network installs / boots of the distros on my Mega
Distro Server, I am at the stage where I need to do some testing with a
variety of hardware that I don't have.  Could anybody with PXE, Etherboot,
or Netboot compatible boot ROMs bring the computers they are in to the next
meeting and hook them up to my server for testing purposes?  Since these
things need support in the DHCP server, and I only run my DHCP server on my
other NIC to avoid conflicts with Hydra's DHCP server, you will need to
connect directly to my box via that second NIC.

It is also possible to use ROM-o-matic to create a NIC boot ROM for either
burning onto your NIC's ROM, or booting from a floppy.  Anybody that feels
adventerous and knows how to burn/flash their NIC's ROM would also be
welcome as test subjects.

Could someone please bring a crossover CAT 5 cable or a small spare
hub/switch?  Barry, if you are planning on turning up, the switch I donated
to the cluster SIG will do fine B-).

For the curious, Trinux and Knoppix are working, with LTSP almost working
but expected to be fully working at the meeting.  All are tested with grub
network booting at home, I have no PXE or NIC boot ROMs.

http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search