[H-GEN] ATO ERecord Software, Wine, ADSL & Knoppix

Anthony Irwin anthonyi at toolboxsoftware.com.au
Sun Aug 24 20:35:11 EDT 2003

Sandra Milne wrote:

>I've read that doing a hard drive installation of Knoppix
> is a painless solution for those who want an X system up and going
> with a minimum of time and effort. Has anyone tried this? Are there
> any gotchas we should beware of?

Hi,

I have done a knoppix hard drive install with version 3.1 it seemed to work
ok. For me it set the computer to the wrong language and keyboard setup
which took me a while to change as I didn't understand the language I was
looking at.

I believe with version 3.2 of knoppix at the boot loader prompt you can type
'knoppix lang=us' and it should give the right language and keyboard options
for the hard disk install.

>From memory the option is 'knx-hdinstall' for the hard disk install but I am
not sure the exact location of the file on the system. You get a gui
interface for partitioning drives etc and it worked flawlessly for me except
for the language stuff which was no doubt my fault somehow.

I was advised at the last humbug meeting that upgrading to debian unstable
from a knoppix install could cause problems so I did a fresh debian base
install and then upgraded to unstable.

As the knoppix hard disk install didn't cause any visible problems for me I
would suggest if you can't get debian working then a knoppix hard disk
install is better then no system but if you can set up debian running it is
supposed to be a better option.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin