[H-GEN] Debian install newbie

Sandra Milne silne at optusnet.com.au
Sun Aug 24 05:54:17 EDT 2003

David Duffy wrote:

> This is what I get when trying "apt-get install apache":
>
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   apache: Depends: apache-common (>= 1.3.26-0) but it is not going to be
> installed
>           Depends: apache-common (< 1.3.27-0) but it is not going to be
> installed
>           Depends: perl5 or
>                    perl but it is not going to be installed

This is infinitely more helpful than the previous post. Firstly I'd try
to install apache-common. Then I'd do an "apt-cache search perl5" and
see what the actual package is called. A search on my debian b0x
suggests libperl5.6 or libperl5.6-dev might be a place to start....

If you're using online deb sources, try "apt-get update". Your package
lists may be out of date (although they shouldn't be). I have no
problems trying to install apache on my system. It comes up and tells me
it can install both of them from the cd. Have you removed the cd as a
deb source? I only do that when moving to a new release (say, 3.0r2).
The online stable release is generally the same packages if you're using
the latest cds.

Sandra.
silne at optusnet.com.au
  "After The Matrix, I cannot wear sunglasses.
  As soon as I put them on, people recognise me."
    -- Carrie-Anne Moss (Trinity)
JabberID: silne at jabber.org